I am on a coconut kick lately. While there is still debate over the extent of health benefits that coconuts provide, I think studies linking coconuts and improved cardiovascular health, thyroid function, and disease-fighting properties are promising. I have just begun to incorporate coconut oil into my baking and other cooking, swapping out less nutritious fats and oils for this omega-3 rich oil. This smoothie has a double dose of coconut in creamy coconut milk and coconut oil. Sweetened with maple syrup, thickened with blended frozen banana, and seasoned with warming spices, it’s a delicious way to start a healthy week after Thanksgiving. Enjoy!
Spiced Coconut Cream & Banana Smoothie
(Adapted from the Swirls and Spice recipe for Soothing Spiced Smoothie with Turmeric — try this turmeric-infused one for an anti-inflammatory boost!)
- One banana, peeled and wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen in freezer for at least one hour
- 1 cup creamy coconut milk (with some coconut solids & oils, or, alternatively, use pure coconut cream)
- 1 heaping tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 heaping tablespoon maple syrup, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (more for garnish or to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
Directions: Remove the banana from the freezer, unwrap and break into 2 or 3 sections; place in blender. Add coconut oil & maple syrup and blend. Taste and add more sweetener if desired. Add spices and mix. Garnish with more cinnamon and cloves if desired. Makes one glass.